This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Use of .RAR extension for releases

Sep 15, 2007 at 7:12 PM
Why are you using the .RAR format instead of .ZIP? I had to install a new program just to open the release binaries, and it would have been much nicer if I could simply have opened the file, which I could have it the file was a ZIP.
Sep 16, 2007 at 7:44 AM
Hi John,

RAR is a very common format, and I like it more than ZIP. Now that you have the software, you will be able to get the next releases easier :)

Aelij.
Sep 16, 2007 at 6:11 PM
How about posting releases using both .ZIP and .RAR.

I see that .RAR has some advantages over .ZIP, but do any of these advantages apply to posting releases here? I would guess that more people would download and use your release if they were available in .ZIP format. The only reason I went to the extra work of finding a program to process RAR files is because I really wanted the TaskDialog.

John

P.S. I noticed that the early versions of RAR resemble the Norton Commander. I take that as a nice compliment--I'm the author of the Norton Commander versions 1.0-3.0.
Sep 17, 2007 at 8:06 AM
John,

I'll consider changing it in the next release.

Norton Commander... that brings out a lot of memories. You've got a piece of PC history. :)

Aelij.